Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Each day, when I start my car, the first 4 lights come on –

Customer Question

Each day, when I start my car, the first 4 lights come on – BAS/ESP; ABS, ETS, Brakes . While they are on, I can only drive in 1st gear. After several restarts or after the engine has warmed up, the lights will not go on and the vehicle is driveable and the lights stay off, but the check engine light is on. A while later after a few more starts, the check engine light goes off when the engine is turned on. After that, the vehicle performs in a normal fashion for the rest of the day. The next day, it is ground hog day and the same series of events takes place. It takes about 20 minutes to warm up the engine or multiple restarts before the 4 lights will go out and only the check engine light is on at which time the vehicle appears to be fully functional. Diagnostic codes for ABS and other codes .are reading as: P2068; P2036; P20CC; 38; 134; C1000-032(N47-5); C1000-018 (N47-5); C1140-008(N49). The last 3 appear to be the problem as the others can be erased and the problem still persists. Tried the following: Turn wheel back and forth several times; replaced the brake light switch – no effect. Got diagnostic tool to read the codes. What is the likely cause and remedy?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

A code reader won't help us here, we need to see actual data from all the nodes in order to process this information, including from MODE 6.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a node and how do I get actual data? The diagnostic reader has a live data feed if that will help. I am happy to give you a positive rating if you answer my questions+
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.
A nose I s a module. You gave several of them in your car.
Mode 6 data for now is good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you are just providing general information. The Mercedes ML320's have generally similar issues that revolve around the ESP an AAM modules. I am not sure you have had much experience with these issues. What data do you need?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

We have to have a starting place, and checking the computer data, ALL of t is needed right now. My experiences far exceed most people's too, not to worry.

Thanks again,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All you have done to this point is provide general statements that anyone could have provided. I gave you specific computer data about my issue. What other information do you need in order to give specific guidance on how to proceed to solve my problem. It is now another day and the same problem continues
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I see that you are unwilling to run the tests I recommended, so I will opt out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what tests did you want me to run?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, different expert here. My name is***** for the run around. Do you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, sorry for the wait I was away most of the day today. The C1000 codes are telling you that there is a fault with the traction control module. I would replace fuse 47 and the K25 relay. If the problem persists I would substitute a known good used traction control module.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I find the K25 relay, but can find Fuse 47. There is an F47, but that is the fog headlamp. Can you clarify?
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about that it's fuse 27 not 47.

Let me know how you make out.

Marty