Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 98 sl500, I didn't run it over the winter and the

Customer Question
battery died, I jumped it...
I have a 98 sl500, I didn't run it over the winter and the battery died, I jumped it and it ran but the battery drained again when I parked it. I bought a new battery and now the car cranks but does not start. Idea's ?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: yes it turns over and the battery is new.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I read where it could have been the crankshaft sensor, so I just replaced it and still the same issue.
JA: Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
6/1/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 1 year ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, looking over your story i have to ask , at any time was the battery hooked up wrong or jumper cables used incorrectly?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not that I am aware

ok so at this point lets start at the battery, make sure the cables are 100% tight and cannot be twisted by hand, then close the door and lock and unlock the car and then see if it will start.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok give me a min

no problem i am in no hurry

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it did not start

ok, so now we need to know if we are missing fuel or spark, at the front right of the engine on the fuel rail there is a small black plastic cap that unscrews and has a valve under it like a tire valve, press the center in carefully and see if fuel comes out. also do you hear the fuel pump buzz when turning the key on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I turn the key I can hear the hum, I will need a little clarification on the fuel rail location.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Found it and gas came out

ok so then crank it one more time and reconfirm and then we can move on

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
A little diff than your pic, but gas came out.

my pic was v6 same engine just minus 2 cylinders.

ok so how many ignition keys do you have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It seemed like it wanted t o start, but didn't. Is there anything like a reset for the computer?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1 key

no reset, other than locking and unlocking to see if it was because of the alarm . ok do you have starter fluid?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll check
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No on the starter fluid

ok, well, we need to know if we are missing fuel or spark. so can you get some? and maybe rent a scan tool from autozone to see if we have any codes to work off of, we need to determine if it is a security issue or sensor issue. also if you want to do a precheck, you can check all the fuses in the car, maybe one popped.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, how do I get back to you? Just leave this window open?

yes you can reply here anytime, copy and paste the address at the address bar or bookmark this page. if i dont hear from you i will try and contact you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, it started with the starter fluid, I turned the car off after 30secs and it wouldn't start on its own. Hit it again with fluid and it started but when I hit the gas it died again.

ok so the module is not injecting fuel, give it a small shot and see how long it runs on its own.

i find it hard to think you have a failed part after just a battery replacement, i have to leave for a bit. i will opt out so another expert can keep you on track. i will check back on the chat later to see how you are progressing and if i can advise of any repairs.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok hit it with fluid and it ran about 3 mins and died.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just went and checked with a code reader and came back zero. Turned the key and it started right up without the use of fluid, ran a few mins and died, wont restart.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hit the MAF sensor with cleaner, same results
Ok I am back. Sounds like the fuel pump is not working correctly. What is your fuel level? You will need to do a fuel pressure check to see what the pressure is when you first turn the key on and also the pressure when cranking and how long it holds pressure when the key is shut off. That all will determine if the fuel pump is good or not.
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician