Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Have 1998 SLK 230. Retractable roof won't go up. Flashing

Customer Question

Have 1998 SLK 230. Retractable roof won't go up. Flashing red light. Yesterday when I pulled something out of trunk under luggage carrier.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: It hit carrier and it retracted. I pulled it all the way out but now can't get top up
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Made sure luggage carrier is all the way out and in place. Also waited 10 min before trying again because had hit red button so much
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?
Customer: No no problems. And never any with roof
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

From what you have described here this sounds like a possible fault with one of the several micro switches this roof uses for proper top operation.If one is sending an incorrect signal this causes the flashing red light/fault and the top will not operate.

Try retracting and extended the cover in the trunk/partition a few times to see if this then triggers the micro switch for it to see if it operates then properly.If this does not work then you will need to have the fault codes read/checked into to see what codes are set in the roof computer.This needs done with a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with the roof computer as some cheaper models are unable to do this.Once this is done if there are any codes set the codes can be diagnosed to locate and repair this issue.The scan tool is also used to clear out any fault codes that may have set when you tried to operate the top several times and in some cases this is all that may need done to allow top operation again.The scan tool is also used to monitor the micro switches to help locate any at fault needing replaced.

Unfortunately in some cases this is not an easy diagnosis or repair without knowing the codes set.Usually a dealer or repair center that can plug into your model will have to check the codes,clear the codes and check the micro switch signals.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete