Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Malfunction light came on then went away day and then came

Customer Question
Malfunction light came on then...
Malfunction light came on then went away for a day and then came on again
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Malfunction light came then blinked off.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If its not to complicated but would like to find out the reason for light coming on
JA: Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: Other than the light coming on the car performs smoothly.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
5/25/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. A light like this usually indicates one or more of the computers has detected a fault with one or more components in the vehicle.Usually what has to be done is to have a fully compatible scan tool plugged into your model to read all computers to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.Was this a check engine light or another light that came on or did it say "Malfunction" or anything else when it came on? Let me know so we can continue from here,thanks Pete.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just the malfunction light came on with a car icon.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
waiting for response.
O.k.,the fault codes need to be checked with a scan tool or dealers sds machine to see what codes are set.This has to be done to find out what the malfunction is.Once this is done the codes are then diagnosed to help locate and repair this issue here.This can be a large number of different faults and is usually a fault with an electrical component like a sensor or solenoid failing.In some cases a local parts store like Auto Zone may be able to check the codes at no charge to you but may not be able to fully diagnose the fault.They may not be able to read all computers as well to find out what code(s) are set here.You will have to have the codes checked to help pinpoint and repair this issue here since there is such a large number of different components that can cause this fault. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic