Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

2000 S500 air compresser problem? 1) airmatic strut problem.

2000 S500 air compresser problem? 1)...
2000 S500 air compresser problem?
1) airmatic strut problem. the right front had some problem of dropping to the floor a few times. Park in the garage overnight and next morning it'll be down on the floor. after turn the car on/off few time. press the level up button messing around. It'll come up and the problem is gone.
2) Last few days. it would just be park in the parking lot for a hour or two. it's down. After turn the car on/off a few times. Usually it'll come up. Now it's not coming up at all.
3) sometimes when lock/unlock the door. or just turn the key without starting the car. something like a motor trying to run. i'm guess it's the pump?
4) Today is the 3rd day it's been sitting there. The rear right side is down too. Not as low as the front. But it's getting low.
5) i try to loose the pipe nuts on the right strut. There's air coming out. But it will come for 2-3 seconds and break and come again and break. is it suppose to do that? and seems i can easily cover it with my finger to not let any air come out.
6) Now the rear right is low. not down to the floor like the right front. I been try start the car few times. Not getting anywhere. The rear is not coming up too.
7) when i jack up the car on the right front. I can hear air coming out from the strut area.
I'm guessing the pump die? Also, the right strut needs to be replaced? why is the rear right not coming up either? Is it one pump for the four wheels or one for the front and one for the back.
Please advice. I want try to find out what's going on before take to the shop and they'll tell me 10 million things wrong with it.
Thanks
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/23/2016
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i am going over your info now to see how i can assist, i see its with the airmatic system so far , no worries i am excellent with airmatic systems. :)

i will respond soon with some info.

ok, so going over your info it sounds to me like you only have 1 bad strut so far on the right front.

what you need to check is start the car and listen at the right front bumper for the compressor to come on when it starts, if you do not hear the loud buzzing then you need to check the fuse in the right front fuse box (passenger side of engine bay) its the middle big orange fuse in the front of the fuse box, and the relay can also be bad its in position O (as in the letter O) in the same fuse box,. if you pick up the relays the letters are stamped on the fuse box. check the fuse first then we swap the relay to see if the compressor kicks on, then we will jump the compressor,BUT if you do not work on cars then the issue will be the front strut, compressor, relay and fuse most likely. that is the most common issue, you only have 1 pump and 1 valve block that allows all the struts to be raised and lowered. hope this helps, please let me know if there is anymore info you need and i can for sure help, Lou P. Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.
Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.

Hello i see you have looked over my info, did you find it helpful at all?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sry wasn't able to get back to you earlier. I'm not use to type on my phone. and didn't had the time to sit in front of a computer.Anyways. Before i even post here. I check the fuse already. It don't look like it's blown or anything, and i do hear a very load buzz. Like i mention in the first post, even when i didn't start the car. Just by lock/unlock the door or turn the key halfway. Also, i did swap the relay with the one beside it. Nothing different happened. I'm guessing it won't be that problem?From what your saying it should be the front right strut. But why isn't the right back strut is nothing coming up either. I know it might be normal to drop down lower by time. But it's not coming up right now either. I can run the car for like 5-10 min. The pump might run for a while during that time. Now the right side is almost fully down.

ok the car cannot raise if there is a blown strut, all the pressure will leak out of that strut. that is most likely why the car will not raise.the only way to check to see if the compressor is fine since there is a known leak, is to get a mercedes scan tool and use it to manually raise the individual struts .

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician