Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

My door would not unlock using the remote, so I used the hard

Customer Question

My door would not unlock using the remote, so I used the hard key. An alarm went off inside the car (outside is silent). Now the car is on lockdown. No lights come on and the key will not turn in the ignition.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Pressing every button on the remote. Changed the battery in the remote. Tried putting the hard key back in the door lock.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello, what year and model it sounds to me like the cars battery is dead, the alarm is most likely due to the low voltage and the alarm is telling you to put the shifter into park. so what year and model are you working with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2006 ML500
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
i am
sorry i have a lot of customers i try to help so yes have you tried to jump start the battery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im still trying to get a hold of some cables. What do you mean by putting the shifter into park? How do I do that without the car being on? Sorry for being such a girlie girl.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning,The jump start is not working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My steering wheel is locked and the key will not turn in the ignition at all.
hello, sorry we keep missing each other, ok so im pretty sure you have a dead battery, where did you try jumping the battery at? under the hood on the gold post and fender post?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried with my neighbors truck under the hood. When I went out the morning, the alarm sounding on the inside stopped but as soon as we hooked up the cables it came right back on. The steering wheel is lock, the key will not turn at all, the brakes are locked and no lights or anything come on.
ok, that means that the jump start will help but the battery is extremely dead.
if the beeping came on when the cables were hooked up that means that the power was getting into the cars battery but the battery is so low that it would have taken a few hours to jump it. do you have access to a battery charger?
if you do a mercedes road side assistance call they will usually come out and jump start for free even replace the battery for a small charge.