Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

My 2004 E 320 sent amessage brake malfunction then stop car…

Customer Question
My 2004 E 320...

My 2004 E 320 sent amessage brake malfunction then stop car or vehicle we let sit but the shifter was locked in park let sit over night reset and it seemed to be fine . Any ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

The malfunction display stated brake malfunction also peddle got very light to push we pulled over and cut car off when I restarted and atrmpted to reset the shifter was locked in park. We came back next day again tried reset and were able to drive it home . 2004 E320

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

I have a local guy that works on somethings but if it's not an easy fix I would go to a dealer mom to close .

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
5/12/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. This can be due to a fault with the brake position sensor itself at fault needing replaced or possibly an issue with another sensor causing the hydraulic unit for the brake system to act up causing the brakes to feel soft like this here.What does have to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out with a compatible scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your model to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.This is the best way to pinpoint the issue here as there should be at least one fault code set in the abs/brake computer that will help locate and repair this fault.I have seen the hydraulic units fail internally on this model needing replaced before so this is a possibility of the fault here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic