Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

1985 380 SL - the car has sat -6 years , I've had it

Customer Question
1985 380 SL - the...
1985 380 SL - the car has sat for 5-6 years , I've had it starting all along, got it painted last year, bringing it home to start to put it back together
Loaded it on a trailer from my storage to bring home, thought I would stop and put 10 gallons or so of fuel in it, got home, now I'm having trouble starting ?I have spark , even at each cylinder, though I only checked I cylinder , I presume the spark is moving accordingly.
Have fuel, fuel pump working,come out in the morning , it try's to start the first time I turn the key, then that's it , just turns over after that but something to indicate it wants to start,
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
5/8/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 1 year ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello, have you removed any spark plugs to see if they are wet indicating fuel was being injected?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, not yet, I've tested for fuel to the fuel distributor when the engine is cranking and that is positive. I do sense that I'm not getting fuel to the plugs, I haul cars to Texas and back every week, I'll be home over the weekend and respond back, I do have an entire parts car, 84 model, any idea where we're heading ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Lou, something that I did notice to puzzle me was that the round plate for the air inlet only moves down an inch or two, while the parts car moves up and down freely?
Hello and sorry for my delay, ok the air flow plate should move freely , the plate is a lever that presses on the center of the fuel distributor valve that adjusts the quantity of fuel, if that is stuck then that can be the culprit, take the distributor off and check the valve for rust and seizing , there are videos on youtube i think of people repairing the distributors, i have replaced a lot of them and diagnosed a lot of older benz but i have never taken one apart myself. let me know what you see or find once you remove the distributor.
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician