Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

The tailgate won't open at all

Customer Question
JA: Sometimes things that you...
The tailgate won't open at all
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mercedes. The Mercedes Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The remote won't open the door or the button on the driver side door. The latch button seems to release something but it still feels like the tailgate is locked firmly shut.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: There isn't a whole lot of options. Just tried to use the remote, the switch on the outside and the button on the driver's side door. Nothing seems to work. Can't even open it manually. I thought it should at least be able to open up manually.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?
Customer: It's a 2007?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/3/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 1 year ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello, it sounds like the tailgate control module had failed, you can manually pop the door if you need to access the cargo area. there where 2 options of releases, i will check to see what option you have and report back. Lou
ok, on the passenger side of the rear door there is a handle at the top of the inside of the tailgate, you must press the handle inward and then pull upward to get it to release. that way you can access the cargo area if needed. you will have to access the control unit and check to see if there is moisture inside or corrosion, it is very common.the control unit is on the right side of the storage compartment where the spare tire is at, it will be under a small access panel. i will attach a photo. hope this helps, Lou P. Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Lou. That was the first thing I tried. It makes a little click sound when I lift up but it does not release the latch. Pressing the remote I still hear all the motor sounds like usual except it just doesn't open. The latch just won't release.
That is odd since that is a strict mechanical override. Keep in mind when you release it this way you will need to push the door open as well. Maybe you need someone on the outside to pullout the door as well. Maybe something got jammed into the latch. That would be the only reason the door would not budge. Hmmm this is unusual.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can shine a light through the little opening between the door and the frame of the suv to see where the latch on the door catches the the hook on the frame. It doesn't release. If I keep pressing the remote I can see where it pulls the door in tighter or slightly releases some pressure off of the door when it's supposed to be open but it just doesn't release the latch. Sometimes pressing the latch sounds promising but pushing and pulling the door has no effect.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So does this mean I'm on my own?
no i am here, sorry , so the door does unlock just not far enough to open, can you upload a photo of what you are seeing?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did a video so you can see and hear. Sorry for the darkness. Had to wait until I got off work. I don't even see the latch in the video but you can see it pull the door in tighter.It's not uploading the video. Says it's too large. I don't know how much you can tell with a picture but here is one.
Ok , the only thing I can suggest , is to have a second person help , push the door closed , press in and pull up the manual release and whole holding it up both you and the other person. Rock the door open and shut to see if it will open. If it does happen to open that is your chance to replace the latch. That is about the only advice I can give as the latches never fail like this. At least I have not dealt with one like this. They always fail to where they do not lock. I hope this helps. If not then the dealer is the place to go to see if they can help with anything and if one of their techs had experienced this. Hope this information helps Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
hello, is there anything further i can help with? i have not seen a rating yet and was wondering if there was something more i can help with?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Lou, I didn't give a rating because I don't feel like you really helped. I was just trying to get the door open that night before we left to go out of town and you pretty much just told me what I already researched on my own. I guess I thought i was paying to find out something new not what I already knew.
Ok I tried. With out being there that was the best I could attempt at I appreciate the reply. I will submit for your refund and hopefully you choose is again in the future. Lou.
Mercedes Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If there is nothing foreign closed in the liftgate, there were no adjustment issues with the liftgate or striker leading up to it not opening and the mechanical release will not work then it does indicate a mechanical failure of the latch. The latch will need to be replaced to repair the problem. The trim panel will need to be removed and then the latch dismantled until the pawl can be reached to open the liftgate, and then replace the latch.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician