Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Pearl, I am trying to figure out what transmissions i can

Customer Question

Hi pearl, I am trying to figure out what transmissions i can swap into my 1999 slk230 that I am having issues with
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: 1999
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: I do not know....I bought it with a blown engine
JA: Noted. IÂ’ll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I bought a car with a blown engine. I cannot get the torque converter to seat deep enought to properly connect the new engine to the trans
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yup
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: bolting the engine to the trans
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mercedes Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: not really
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello, so at this point what can i help with? i see you may have a issue with the trans and engine mating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Lou! SO what i did was try to connect the engine to the trans without properly lining up the torque converter( i think). no no matter what I do, based on my measurements, the torque converter needs to go in about 10 more mm to be able to bolt the engine and trans together
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no matter how much i wiggle and smack it, i do not think the notches that drive the fluid pump are engaging
ok, so let me ask you this, do you have the mounting holes lined up with the flywheel? can you take a picture and upload it to me of a straight shot looking up or down at the trans with the converter sticking out?
so sorry for my delay, my notifications ringer is not working for some reason
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have some pics that I can upload. Even when the holes are lined up, it seems like the torque converter needs to go in about 10 more mm in order for the engine and bell housing to connect flush
OK, they are a pain, you have to rotate it as you gently pull and push it in and out, it should click or clunk like 3 times before it seats, and pictures would be helpful i hope :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will be tonight before i can get pics to you. Is there a time limit on this question? Im not sure how this whole think works. Would you happen to have a pic of a properly seated torque converter? I had not luck googling.
i do not have a pic but i think i had a customer send me a pic one time, i will see if i can find it, i know if i seen one i can tell you right away lol, ask me how i know :(there is no time limit my man, so just reply back to me when you are ready, if need be we can do a facetime or phone convo, let me know. Lou P.
Hello sir, i am checking to see if you still needed assistance with the trans mating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still need you...just moving slow on the pics...hopefully tomorrow night
ok good deal, i didnt forget about you, but the more questions i answer the further down the line your question moves so i was making sure i didnt lose track of you.