Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

Sl 550: I have a 2008 sl 550 the roof won't retrack and the

Customer Question

I have a 2008 sl 550 the roof won't retrack and the key less fob is not working.
FYI the car has been in storage for the winter (about 5 months )
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello, does the car start? does the dash say "convenience functions offline?"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car starts and runs great, the dash does not say convenience function offline. I need to use key fob to start car. The start button will not start car.
OK, what happens when you pull the switch to open the top? what does the dash say?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Lou not sure what it said, Do I need to press the brakes and pull the handle to open the retrackable. I worked fine last year until I pulled it out of storage
no,. you do not have to press the brake.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did open truck to make sure the luggage cover was latched. If it does say on the dash convenience function what do I need to do? I am at work trying to fix the problem.
OH ok, so if it says convenience offline that means that the main battery in the trunk is weak , you need to either charge it or let the car run until the message goes away, if it has been sitting for 5 months i can bet the battery is dead or extremely weak. so let me know, you can just reply back to this at any time and i will get back to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a trickler on the front battery. So there is a battery in the truck as well?
oh yes, :)you have a starter battery and a main systems battery, you should have the trickle on the main battery in the trunk, the starter battery is disconnected when the car is turned off, they made this system since these cars are stored most of any other model. but the salesman fail to inform the customers. all the time :(
main battery is next to your inflatable spare under the center cover in the trunk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I can charge the back battery or let the car run for an hour or so?
Correct, that should do it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you will let you know results
any luck? Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Leo
I charged back battery roof will still not open
When I pull up on the lever it say retract roof oper please wait
See oper manual
The tach says convenience functions
The speedometer say temp unavailable
ok, so you still have a issue with the rear battery, it may not be charging up correctly, i think you need to replace it. a weak battery in the rear is the only thing that will give you the messages you are seeing, the message read "convenience functions unavailable" over the two screens. its the same message.