Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  15 years master certified 100% fix rate and have access to factory radio codes, wiring, and instructions.
27644750

E300: I started my 1998 mercedes E300 [diesel] today without

Customer Question

I started my 1998 mercedes E300 [diesel] today without a problem. I drove 5 miles and parked the car on the roadside. Upon my return, I put the key into the ignition and it would not turn. It was also impossible to get gearshift lever out of park. Since it seemed like an electronic problem, I disconnected the battery to "reset" the system. Upon putting the key back in it still would not turn. In addition, the dash indicator lights remained out. However, these turned on again upon turning on the headlights. After multiple attempts to turn the key, I succeeded once, however, the starter would not engage - not a sound, nothing. However, with the key in the "start" position, I was able to freely move the gear shift lever. Upon returning the key to the original [insert] position, it would no longer turn and the gear shift lever was again stuck. In addition to these problems, the general electronics seemed to behave erratically. It was difficult to unlock the doors and impossible to lock them upon finally leaving the car. Any suggestions are welcome. I do not believe the battery is at fault, since it is relatively new. This problem has never happened before. It is possible that the batteries in the remote control key are low. I have a spare key that I will test. Unfortunately, the car is 5 miles away, so I can not do any tests on the spot. FYI, it was possible to turn the key into the start position a total of three times, but this seemed to occur "sponaneously".
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to withdraw the question. The problem has been temporarily solved. I drove to the car and tested my spare key. Everything worked perfectly - ignition locks, etc. Why the first key does not work, I do not yet know, but I will retest it with fresh batteries. Damn electronics.
Expert:  Lou P. master tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello, you need to take the key apart and check for the transponder coil to see if it has fallen off, here is a link to the coil that i am talking about. http://www.mediafire.com/view/rcjiod5h4vitza9/ignition%20key.jpg also you will want to verify the cables on the battery are tight and the alternator is charging, you may have a eis issue, that is the electronic ignition switch. hope this helps. let me know if you still have issues i will do what i can to assist, Lou P. Please take a second and click the STARS above and rate my service 4 or 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !