Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

C230, 1.8 Kompressor: Stan, these are the codes, read by

Customer Question
Hi Stan, these are the codes...
Hi Stan,
these are the codes, read by a cheap OBDII reader. The car is 2003 C230, 1.8 Kompressor, Coupe. Almost every morning, depending also from the outside temperature, when left on idle it starts changing by itself the RPM from normal to almost 2000 with period between the RPM peaks about a second or less. Shortly after (less than a minute) it calms down and everything go smooth then. When driving it - no problem. What do you think - is it the position throttle body sensor or some atmospheric pressure sensor, or both?
P2023 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Intermittent Bank 2
P2138 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "D"/"E" Voltage Correlation
P2137 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "B"/"C" Voltage Correlation
P2013 Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit High Bank 2
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
4/11/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. If you clear out the codes then operate the engine do all of these codes come back again or only some of them? Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't erase the codes with that cheap reader. I own Chinese made DAS but for some reason it doesn't work with C230. Although it works very well with our other car 2005 E320 CDI.
It is difficult to say from here if all of these codes are current issues needing diagnosed and repaired.Some of these codes may have been a one time fluke meaning they may not be a fault anymore for this here.If the codes come back I suspect an intake manifold may be needed as the runners can fail or stick in the manifold requiring replacement.You may also have a fault with the accelerator pedal assembly as it has a sensor on it that can fail.Usually it is the manifold runners that cause the engine surging issue here.This will have to be checked into further to locate and repair this issue here then the codes cleared out. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Pete,
can you please clarify for me the meaning of:
"If the codes come back I suspect an intake manifold may be needed as the runners can fail or stick in the manifold requiring replacement."
Do you mean the manifold itself may need replacement? Maybe you meant - the gasket? What or how it might stick? Clogged?
I mentioned that I checked one hose (I decided it is the PVC one) and it looked good, but it was a hose coming from the top of the camshaft lid (beside the coil packs) to the intake, after the MAF and it is about a foot long with internal diameter D>0.3". From RockAutoParts I purchased what they call a PVC Valve, but I don't know where it fits in the engine if it really is the correct part:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5937525&cc=1416899&jsn=546&jsn=546&jsn=546
Please, note its dimensions - length and internal diameter. It is much smaller than what I know so far for PVC valve/hose.
A PVC usually ventilate the oil gases around the crankshaft to the intake and thought there is in-head-in-cylinderblock channel for that ventilation.
Do you think I can find the TPS (throttle pos. sensor) for purchasing it alone, without the throttle body for our Kompressor?
Thanks,
Boris
I dont know for sure if you can locate the TPS separate.The sensor you may need is part of the throttle pedal assembly itself and usually the pedal assembly needs replaced.Is there any way you can double check the fault code numbers here on this.My info shows for this year and model code P2013 shows up as a fault with the ETC/EGS control unit itself defective needing replaced and not the intake manifold runner control. Let me know,thanks Pete.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll try to get the error codes again after clear them first. When you say "manifold runner" and "manifold runner control" I guess you mean the throttle, correct? Or you mean the whole control system, including the accelerator pedal?
Boris
This would be intake manifold runners inside the intake itself but I think we may be going on a different path here with the codes you have as this may not be manifold runners here.If you can clear and re check the code numbers then post them here this will help just let me know. Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Pete,
I erased the codes, verified that there are no errors and then I started the engine. Short time after being on idle the first code popped up: P0172 -Powetrain. System too reach (Bank 1). That was yesterdays evening when I ran it only on idle. Today, the car was driven less than 10km and when I came back home I read the errors again. In addition to the old one (P0172) there is now a new one, the P201C - Powertrain. I searched the web - it is "Intake manifold air control actuator. bank 2 supply voltage low".
So far, the MIL indicator is still off, but yesterday, at the time of the many errors, before cleaning them the MIL lamp was also off.
So what is your opinion - what else can I test before and then what to replace first:
1. Oxygen sensor
2. MAF sensor
3. Camshaft and/or Crankshaft sensors
4. Throttle body or the gas pedal
Thanks,
Boris
I would start with checking and replacing the engine air filter first if this has not been done.Then if this is o.k. I would replace the mass air flow sensor and see if the fault continues from there at all and let me know. Thanks Pete
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Congratulations Pete,
Your guess is a catch - please see the attached 2 pictures. Thus, I have to tell you the whole story, so you'll get one more tip for your next guess. The filter seems very delicious for someone which I didn't catch (likely a mouse). But these pictures are 1 month old and the same day when I found the intrusion, I installed new filter and I cleaned the debris in the MAF, between its plastic grid and the metal mesh behind it, debris is shown on the second picture.
The effect which I initially described (the idle RPM oscillations when the car is cold and just after the engine is started) actually is more than an year old. But two months ago it get even worst - for ex. when the car waits on a street light, even the engine coolant is at its nominal temperature, due to these deep RPM changes, without touching the gas pedal, sometimes it died and needed a restart. So, the self running up-down RPM started to happen not only in the morning, when it is cold, but also anytime later. Then, I found and replaced the eaten filter which led back to the old effect – only in the morning while it is still cold.
Now I am searching for where to buy and what kind a MAF sensor but meanwhile you may have additional ideas.
Boris
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I apologize for the delay. With damage to the filter like this here there is a good chance that the mass air flow sensor is the cause here.It can become dirty or damaged.I recommend an OEM factory sensor made by Bosch for a replacement.I would replace it and then using either a dealers SDS machine or compatible scan tool plugged into your model reset the air/fuel adaptations and see if this corrects the fault here. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic