Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

No ignition switch action, triple a replaced battery in r350

Customer Question
2008, now srs lighting up...
no ignition switch action, triple a replaced battery in r350 2008, now srs lighting up engine cooling fan stays on
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: yes
JA: Glad to hear that. How old is the battery?
Customer: aaa replaced it today
JA: Anything else I can tell the Mercedes Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: what does it cost for any info
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Mercedes Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: maybe next time .i am very skeptical
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/3/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 1 year ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician
Hello , so do you know if at any time any sparks happened or if the battery was hooked up reversed? was the R class ( i will refer to as car) attempted to jump start at any time?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yes it was attempted jump start
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
neveer saw sparks
ok, thanks, ***** ***** happens when you insert the key and turn it? just want to be sure, it does start correct?
i ask because your story starts with " no ignition switch action " but then you say it starts and you have the cooling fan on high and the srs light.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
starts, says srs, engine fan runs hard and says disctonic and speedtronic not working Car has had no problems until this
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
at first after aaa replaced battery nothing worked
ok so what changed?
i think that there are blown fuses. that is the most common issue when a benz is jump started and battery replaced by a outside company like that . when the fan comes on high that means that there is a communication issue with the engine control module so the fan is kicked on as a safety.
assuming you had aaa replace the battery because you dont work on cars yourself?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i included that it started like that and triple A replaced battery and now it starts but srs lights up and engine fan runs hard
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no my wife was stuck and triple a came with battery
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
which fuse, ill look
ok, so the first thing i would need to know is what else in the car does not work? try every switch and function and tell me what does not work, that would be the best route to take. then i can check the diagrams and see what they all have in common if anything. see what we can figure out before needing to go to a shop.
there are 5 fuse boxes and not all are easily accessible, so checking all the functions of the car is the best route to take for times sake.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok ill check right now. which are most important
all of them really , and i dont know what options your car has so i cant say a specific one, just try everything, windows, sunroof, radio, cigar lighter, door locks, wipers, horn, turn signal, everything
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
disctronic and speedtronic inoperative SRS light on and Fan running are the most noticeable
yes, srs will be because of low voltage, distronic and speed will be tied into the fan. but without a scanner we dont know why those are all on.
so we will try a round about diagnosis and keep fingers crossed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
turn signal horn dont work also i have scanner but it wouldnt read
what brand and model scanner. and please please keep me informed of everything no matter how big or small it seems. the more info the merrier i need you to be my eyes and ears.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
actron pocket scanner 9550
ok, that one will not help . that is a generic scan tool that will only read faults with emissions when the actual check engine light is on. and the term generic does not mean cheap lol it just means not factory.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yeah i just got cheap for silly small stuff
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also says srs front right service required
ok that is due to the weight sensor or did aaa remove the seat to replace the battery?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i removed seat so battery could be replaced
ok, in the future the seat does not need to be removed . and that is why the srs is on as well. once you disconnect a srs yellow connector you need a scan tool to erase the codes . so will you be checking the car tonight? i have to go soon for the night.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it began with dead ignition nothing working except radio,no door locks, windows so i jumped and was going to have towed home it still wouldnt start and aaa arrived and said to get battery
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ill work on it tomorrow
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no wires were disconnected from the seat
ok, ill check back tomorrow have a good night.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there?
Yes. Been a long busy day. Any news ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
So any ideas
well, i asked you to check all the functions of the car, that was the last request.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I sent them yesterday
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Turn signal not working, horn not working , Srs on, distribution and speedtronic not working
distribution ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It runs
ok, so those items wont help, so heres whats next.turn on the ignition and check for power at all the fuses in the fuse box on the right front of the engine bay . theres a little black box. open it up and test for power at all the fuses i need to know if any fuse does not have power. we are not simply looking for a blown fuse although any would be a bonus. what runs??
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician