Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

1998 ML320 been having issues with ignition not engaging

Customer Question
Dave. 1998 ML320 been having...
Dave. 1998 ML320 been having issues with ignition not engaging properly, key turns fine. Lights left on and drained battery. After jumping, ingition really spotty. Replaced ignition switch now turns engine but won't start. replaced batter in FOB no help
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what do you need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mercedes Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mercedes
3/24/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 1 year ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi Dave, my name is***** jump start can damage the key on the ML. If you have another key you can try that and see if it will start. If you don't have a key you will need to order a replacement key from the Mercedes dealer. You can try disconnecting the battery cables and connecting the two cable ends together overnight then reconnect them to the battery and see if the car will start. This will reset the drive authorization system and will sometimes allow the car to start. If the car started and ran before the dead battery I suspect the key has failed.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please note that you must rate my service in order for the website to credit me for helping you.

Marty

Hi, I'm just following up with you on this question. I provided you with an answer but you never rated my service. You may not understand how the website works. Even though you have been charged by the website the website does not pay me my portion of the charge until you rate my service or reply back to me to let me know that you are satisfied with my help. Please take a moment to rate my service or reply back to me.

Thank you

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician