Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1999 slk230 won't run hardly at all. when 1st crank revs…

Customer Question
my 1999 slk230 won't run...
my 1999 slk230 won't run hardly at all. when 1st crank revs up for a few seconds then will not accelerate fumbles like out of fuel pressure. I noticed the supercharger was loose but I bought a new engine with supercharger with half my miles and replaced engine. before I changed the engine we replaced the fuel pump and the filter with no effect. help (###) ###-####
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
3/11/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, so to be on the same page, you are saying the same issue was there before and after engine replacement ?

ok, so one word replies are going to drag this out for the both of us, so please be as detailed as possible,

did you swap ANYTHING from the old engine to new?

was there a check engine light on before the engine swap?

no engine lite changed no old sensors to replacement engine only left something that looks like a filter of some sort on top of drivers fender well going to fuel system. not sure what it is. after start the acc pedal control moves but engine runs at below idlee and will not rise
you can call me at(###) ###-####

OK do you have a scan tool ?

and we cannot do a phone call without doing a phone service also i cannot call until after 4pm as i also work through the day

but was reading no codes

i understood no codes. :)

what kind of scanner is it, does it read live data?

reads only engine off but pretty good tool also reads abs ssystem

only engine off? that is weird, what happens when you try with engine on and running?

never tried only with ignition on but not running

ok, what is the make and model of the scanner so i can see what its capabilities are

cen-tech 60794

ok thanks,i see it

so you start the car, it runs ok at idle but when pressing the gas it doesnt accel correctly? is that correct?

considering you swapped the entire engine and sensors that tells me its not the engine or sensors obviously, and since you have a new fuel pump that rules that out, so the next thing i would ask you to do is to loosens the exhaust, from the manifold to the exhaust, loosen it up and see if it runs now.

it only runs fine for about 10 seconds then does not barely run
ok ill try that guess it could be catalytic convertor but this just started all at once it was not a gradual thing

sometimes the converter breaks internally and clogs the output. but that is where i would start.

BUT i need to know any other odd ball things that may be happening as well, or any items you may have swapped over from the old engine if ANYTHING

thanks, ***** ***** as I finish checking it out I will get back with you.

OK no worries, i will get emails when you reply and i will always reply. let me know and we can try other things.

so was my info helpful?

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician