Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2010 300c 4matic whine from the back of trans like transfer…

Customer Question
2010 300c 4matic whine...

2010 300c 4matic whine from the back of trans like transfer case area

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

When i drive the vehicle is has a whined coming from the back of the trans do you have to replace the whole trans assembly or is it repair able

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
3/3/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, first off i am sorry you are experiencing this issue as it is not a good answer

the bearing for the output shaft for the front differential is the issue, they are a poor design and failed causing a whine or growling about 40 miles a hour, if you put the car on a rack and run it you can use a stethoscope to locate the noise. timken makes the bearings for mercedes and they will not sell to the public. and the bearings are not available in mercedes so the whole transmission must be replaced as the transfer case it made one piece into the back of the trans. it was the worst design they could have ever come up with. so yes the transmission must be replaced.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate me so i may recieve my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE 1 or 2 stars AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! Lou P.

Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.

did you have a chance to look over the information?