Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1995 Mercedes S420... When car reaches operating temp it…

Customer Question
1995 Mercedes S420... When car...
1995 Mercedes S420... When car reaches operating temp it will not restart... Car must cool in order for it to start. Already changed Crank Sensor. Any idea what else could cause this problem.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
3/3/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, does the engine die when warm?

Before we replaced the crank position sensor the car would die when it reached operating temp. Now that the crank postion sensor was replaced the car stays running but will not restart once warm.

ok,where did you get the new sensor from?

From WorldPac...
Its an aftermarket crankpostion sensor made by Original Equipment

ok, world pac sensors have issues sometimes, here is what i would do, ohm the new sensor when cold and let it warm up and shut the car off, when it does not restart re ohm the sensor and compare they should be near identical or within 100 ohms, not thousands or open. unless you have a scan tool to read rpm?

Ok I have a scan tool or ohm meter which do you recommend?

ok sweet, does your scan tool show rpm data when engine running or cranking?

it is an autoland scanner... complete MB functions. I can read live data

PERFECT so what the rpms , get the car hot and shut it off, if it does not start then access the rpm data and see if it recognizes rpm as the engine is cranking

ok still having this problem and now the car is idling high and low...

OK i will opt out hopefully another expert can assist better, please do not reply until another expert replies or it will lock you back to me.

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician