Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Marty I just replaced the heads gaskets and have everything…

Customer Question
Hi Marty I just replaced the...
Hi Marty
I just replaced the heads gaskets and have everything back together. It is not starting. It sounds like it wants to start and will turn over for about 1 second - then stops
fuel pressure is good - new fuel pump
what should I start checking?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
What other items do you need that will help in discussion?
this is on my 1985sl where I just replaced head gaskets and have installed everything and it is not starting
2/29/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi Steve, can you run a compression test? Have you checked for spark?

One issue is that the Excelerator linkage is being stopped by the linkage part in front of the carburetor. I have removed the linkage to the other areas and it moves freely. The vertical linkage in front of the carburetor does not move up or down

Not sure if you saw my previous reply. Can you run a compression test? Have you checked for spark?

it is running now I had to depress the flapper down about 1/8 inch and car started - rough but it started. Secondly the verticle throttle piece that is in front of the fuel distributor and flapper valve does not move

It might be stuck. How hard did you try pushing down on the rod?

I pressed fairly hard but did not want to break anything

All you have down there is the throttle plate. The rod connects to the pivot for the plate. You should be able to look down there and see the pivot.

let me pull it back in the garage put a light on timing as it sits then look at pivot plate to lube it and all linkage

Ok, let me know if you need anything.