Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Where can I buy a replacement key ML320 and repair another…

Customer Question
Where can I buy a...
Where can I buy a replacement key for my ML320 and repair another key fob that does not open the door?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
2/27/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The key and key fob have to be purchased from a Mercedes dealer.This is a security issue that Mercedes has in place to where it can only be purchased from a dealer and the dealer has to see proof of ownership and a photo ID from you.They can order in a key blade and remote for you over night.On the ML the remote has to be programmed to your vehicle using a dealers sds machine as this is the only way to program a new one to your model here.I havent tried to program a used one and I do not think this can be done as Mercedes has always said only a new one ordered in per your vehicles VIN number will work.

The programming is only for the lock and unlock feature.The starting of the vehicle is already pre programmed to your vehicle when it is ordered in.The electronics in the key fob/remote to lock and unlock the doors also includes the security feature to start the vehicle so a used one will not work unfortunately.I know a dealer will usually charge around a half hours labor to have it programmed.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic