Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Amedee My name is ***** *****. I have a Mercedes E320 2004 -

Customer Question
HI Amedee My name...

HI Amedee My name is ***** *****.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have a Mercedes E320 2004 - it has done 260 000kms. When I drive the car for over an hour the car starts jerking and loses power. When I pull over and stop for ten mins, then the car is able to be driven, but the jerking and loss of power comes back. The problem is not prevalent when only driving short distances.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
2/26/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, my name is***** problem that you are describing sounds most like loss of fuel pressure from the fuel pump. It sounds like the pump is overheating when driven for a long period of time and losing pressure. I would recommend that the fuel pump be tested for faults. If the check engine light is coming on you should have the fault codes checked to see if they point to a faulty sensor but this problem sounds more like loss of fuel pressure after driving awhile. I suspect that the fuel pump will need to be replaced.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please remember to rate my service in order for Just Answer to credit me for helping you.

Marty

HI
Another service technician said it could be dirty transmission oil that needs to be replaced, or that the level of oil in the transmission is low - is that likely ?. Can it be a transmission problem or is it more likely to be fuel pressure. The problem only occurs on long distance journeys after two hours or so.

Hi, it is very unlikely that this is a transmission problem. The transmission on this model rarely leaks oil and if there was a transmission fault the transmission would go into limp home mode and would not change gears. This sounds more like loss of fuel pressure.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Marty