Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car ran out of gas at the traffic light i went to

Customer Question
My car ran out...

My car ran out of gas at the traffic light i went to retrieve gas i put it in the tank but now my car wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: What model and year is your Mercedes?

2000 s 500

Mechanic's Assistant: Nice car. The Mercedes Mechanic can help you with your '00 500 . Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

After trying to crank the car several times then the battery went dead.

Mechanic's Assistant: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Mercedes Mechanic will know what to do with your ''00 500 . Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Before the bsttery went dead the problem was that it wasnt cranking after i put the gas into it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you ready to speak with the Mercedes Mechanic now?

Yes

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
2/23/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, did the gas gauge show empty when you ran out?

how much fuel did you put in and did the gas gauge move accordingly?

not sure my sons picture was blocking the gauge but i know it was low on fuel

ok, i am asking because the rear module that controls the fuel pump and the gauge is known for going bad. so it is important to know. what kind of info are you looking for? will you repair yourself?

just trying to see whether its the fuel pump or relay

ok, it can very well be, to test if the fuel pump is working , there is a little black cap on the end of the fuel line in the engine bay, cycle the key a few times and take off the cap and press in the valve, it is just like a tire valve, use a rag as well as some fuel HOPEFULLY will spray out. that will tell us is the fuel pump is working for the most part.

fuse 52 and relay T are both for the fuel pump . hope this helps.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/sa2sx38u3x0ldxy/220%20rear%20sam%20fuse%2062%20pse.jpg

if all seems ok then the issue can be the rear "SAM" control module which is in fact part of the rear fuse box in the picture. so let me know if you need further help but it can get pretty technical past checking the fuse an the relay.

Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and

please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY

, I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!.

Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !

sorry these answers are coming in slow
could the problem be the air flow sensor.. today as i was driving it cut off. but i had driven the car atleast 50 miles before it cut off

wait, so the car runs now? i though the car did not run since the gas ran out? please ellaborate

if the car dies while driving then i suggest to replace the crank position sensor. that sensor is the most common failure for a engine to die and then start later on.

i have to commute i will check in later, feel free to keep messaging i will see all the responses.

after the car died yesterday it came back on... today after driving for 50 miles the car cut off again but came back on like 10 minutes later

YES perfect scenario for a failed crank sensor.

the sensor is located on the back of the engine behind the drivers side cylinder head , super easy fix. have the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR replaced. :)

Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED !

Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou P.

Any luck ? I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my credit for assisting you. Thank you.

are you still needing assistance?

none of that helpd i didnt give u all the details. this happened on a rainy day. im not even sure that the car was out of gas i thought it was out of gas because i failed to realize the gas gauge doesnt work. but only when it rains this happens. the car will crank drive about 10 miles and shut off, then when trying to restart the car will crank but it doesnt want to accelerate. but like i said before it only happens when it rains

ok, can you check something for me?

open the hood and check the black cover near the corner of the engine bay on the drivers side up near the windshield, its the drivers side fuse box. make sure the cover is secure and cannot be wiggled or moved easily.

All the fuses and relays should be covered.

its secured. i actually just tried to crank hit the gas pedal it just accelerated but the rpm is the only guage that moved and the check engine light was on and i have a messgage that says airmatic
my brother thought it was the mass airflow sensor i forgot he took that off earlier so maybe thats why the check engine light was just on

OK, if it happens when it rains then i want you to pull up the back seat and check for water near the fuse box on the passenger side. the seat comes up easy and the fuse box is hidden behind the little light panel where the backseat passenger feet would go under the back seat. that module is prone to water from sunroof . the seat pulls up with the two leavers on the outer corners under the seat . and there are a few screws that will need to be removed once the seat is removed to access the fuse box.

cant get to it right now, but if there is water?

Well the rear fuse box needs to be unbolted and unplugged and checked for corrosion inside the connections or module pins, and if so then the rear fuse box needs replaced. and control module that is attached called the "rear sam"

also check the passenger front fuse box cover too, the water is a great indication. also you did not have a windshield put in the car ever have you?

sorry i am throwing a lot at you i am just going over everything that i have encountered in the last 16 years working on mercedes .

Also if you could, please take a second to rate my service thus far so i may receive my credit for assisting and no worries it will not end the chat it merely credits me for helping.

i cant figure how to get the rear seats up

Feel around the bottom of the seat around the edge corners and you will find a lever that pressed to the side or a lever that you press in as you lift up.