Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just saw that my axle boot cover is torn and leaking. I am…

Customer Question
I just saw that my...
I just saw that my axle boot cover is torn and leaking. I am planning on driving the vehicle to North Carolina and back from NY BEFORE I fix it. What could possibly go wrong. I have a C240 AWD.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
2/22/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, first off , i have to ask is, how much grease is around the frame and brakes, is this the front axle or rear? look for black grease to be located around the area as it gets flung out as the axle rotates.

i am not sure if my messages are getting through so i apologize if you see the same response more than once.

I just noticed that I am being charged another $35 for this question. I was under the impression it was free during my free trial membership. Please disregard the question. I am going to cancel my membership. If I get billed I will dispute the charge with my credit card company. Thanks

no that is not the case, customer service can clear that up

35 $ may be for the membership , i think you had a certain amount of time to cancel or continue. so we can finish here and you can contact customer service to straighten that out. i assure you they are helpful.

There is a little grease and its the front axle

ok, so if its slight you should be ok, of course i would never recommend people to drive with a torn boot only because the more grease that you lose the more your chances of a normal rebooting will lessen as the wear to the balls and cups can make the axle non usable, but in the same instance i have seen people drive for months and it finally gets noticed and we reseal with no issues so take that with a grain of salt. the technician in me says get it fixed before, but the mechanic in me says you will be ok as long as you get it taken car of sooner than later. hope this helps .,Lou P.

Does it mean I can reseal without replacing with a new axle. If so where can I do that?

Any shop can do that, you dont need any special tools to reseal a cv axle, mercedes sells the boot kits. they take all but like 2 hours to do. at least thats what it takes me to do them ,.

I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my credit for assisting you. Thank you.

is there any more info i can provide?

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician