Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Trunk will not open by either by key or interior swith on…

Customer Question
Trunk will not open by...
Trunk will not open by either by key or interior swith on MBZ S430 2000.
Is there a perticular fuse in the back right seat that needs to be replaced or a fuse in the front left hood box?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
2/20/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, fuse 62 in the rear fuse box can be removed for 10 seconds to reset the PSE module in the trunk. Resetting the module may allow the interior trunk release to work. I've attached a fuse box diagram below.

If the fuse is blown it should be replaced but usually you just need to remove the fuse for 10 seconds to reset the PSE module so the trunk release will work again.

Let me know if it works for you.

Marty

Hi Marty,If a fuse needs to be taken out for 10 seconds, which particular one is it that would affect the trunk release from the key fob, driver's door button? Would it be in the hood or would it be located in the back left seat??
Which fuse" do I need to remove the fuse for 10 seconds to reset the PSE module so the trunk release will work again.

I sent you a diagram of the rear fuse box located below the rear seat cushion. Did you click on the attachment?

Did you receive the attachment with the fuse box diagram?

I got it Marty... There was a delay in my email...
I took it out for the10 seconds but to no affect. I do however hear some thing actuating once I use my key fob trunk release but to no avail.
What would be plan B at this point? I still cannot open my trunk :(

Try the key blade again. Insert the key and turn it fully counterclockwise and hold it in that position then try pushing in on the button to open the trunk. You have to hold the key in the counterclockwise position (about 10 o'clock) when pushing the button. You might also try having a helper press the trunk release button in the car while you pull up on the trunk lid in case something is stuck in the latch.

Marty,
Unfortunately, this must be bigger than a "fuse"...
I guess I'll have to take it in; what else could it be?

It most likely a failed trunk lock assembly. If you are hearing something when you press the key fob it would indicate that the PSE module is trying to open the lock but the lock must have an internal leak and will not release. You should be able to override the lock using the key blade however. Sometimes the mechanism is reluctant to work due to lack of use. We can usually get the trunk open in the shot with some persistence working the mechanical key in the lock. I've attached the instructions for using the key just to be sure you are doing it properly.