Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1994 SL500 I replaced the battery in the car

Customer Question
I have a 1994...

I have a 1994 SL500 I replaced the battery in the car because it was very weak. Now the car will not start. It cranks and sounds like it wants to start. I live in the North East so it has been cold, but today it is near 50

Mechanic's Assistant: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Mercedes Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

I am.

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Not much. It just sits there and cranks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Mercedes Mechanic should know about your Mercedes?

It has been sitting for a while, but I do use Sta-Bil in the gas

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
2/20/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 2 years ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

This may be a security issue which means the dealer or a qualified shop will need to diagnose and repair, but just in case that's not it, check your fuel pressure with a gauge and check for spark at the plugs.

Thanks, Ron