Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 99 slk230.The roof does not operate properly. Three…

Customer Question
I have a 99 slk230.The...
I have a 99 slk230.The roof does not operate properly.
Three of the five hydraulic Pistons had leaks which we repaired yesterday. The two switches in the top check fine. The switch behind the passenger seat last checks fine. The switch behind the pump which indicates the trunk I believe, checks fine.
But still getting errors and not operating. Upon working on theis yesterday we had all kind of different issues.
Any other suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
2/14/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello. I can help you diagnose this but it may take some time. When you say you are getting errors can you elaborate ?

I will step inside the car.
Ok everything closed.
I press red light to the rear it flashes
Earlier the pump would operate in the down position which seemed to be shutting tight.
It would run for app 35-40 seconds then stop
Right now for the first time the windows does not even go down

Ok so the only error you get is the flashing switch ?

Was the battery disconnected ? Is the rear shade installed into the latches?

flashing
Battery not disconnected
Just started car
Truck shade in place
Still there?
Ok after pressing roof switch multiple times the front windows went down
Not the rear
No sir
At this point I don't hear the pump activating at anytime
Any other switches etc I could check?
Is there more then one relay for the pump? I see the one attached to the inner trunk side.

Ok so do you have the tool for the roof manual operation ?

The pump will timeout if the temperature is exceeded

Can you send me some pictures of the position of the top currently ?

I have it in my hand
To cell? Email?

We can do a offer service or you can upload here whatever you feel comfortable with.

Phone is always quicker and easier to communicate.

Ok can I get with you in a few hours ? I am not home to access the wiring and switches. I can upload all the info and help you get this figured out.

Ok but I may not be at the car so I may need ad entailed list of things to try when you reply back

Sure will do. Appreciate it.

This link you may love :) it took me a long time to compile it. http://www.mediafire.com/folder/g101u895oho4p

did you have a chance to look over the info i provided?

but we tried many different things which didn't help.
The very last attempt was the trunk would close. But when we tried to open the top pump would run for about 12-15 seconds then stop.

Ok and you made sure the fluid was full and no more leaks ? What cylinders did you replace and why

Rebuilt roof latch,and both side panel piston. They were leaking.
Didn't change two rear in trunk. They didn't leak.

Ok. And do you have access to a scan tool ? Or no

No clue what a scan tool is

Ok. The Mercedes scanner that you hook up to the diagnostic port under the drivers side dash. If not I'll tell you how I would check the car without one. Give me a few

👍👍👍

Ok so if you have the tool for the roof locks , I would manually open the top in slow increments. But first let me ask you this. Did you turn the screw on the hydraulic pump to relieve the pressure before you replaced the hydraulics ?

sure did. Had no trouble replacing o rings.

Ok and you did relighted the screw ?

Omg, re-tighten

we did retighten many times over and over.
Manually latched and unlatch with front roof latch. Also loosened when checking the rear trunk pistons

Ok so if the pump runs only in the close position and the roof seems to close but what I suggest trying is to loosen the pump screw , manually open the trunk lid with the key , release the trunk lid latches , pull the trunk lid back a little bit , screw in the pump screw. Close the trunk lid (while the whole lid is pulled back ) then try and open the roof. See if it proceeds to open.

From what you describe a switch is most likely not adjusted correctly.

that is what we've been looking for since yesterday..
I will continue to research till I have time to check it out again. Tomorrow

Ok so what I do is manually open the roof step by step and function the switch to see when the roof starts functioning that will tell us what step has the issue. Hope this information helps. Let me know if you have issues with the info I sent you in the link. So let me know what happens I'll get emails when you reply so I'll get back asap. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.