Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Trunk lid stuck on 2006 S500, metal key does not open

Customer Question
Trunk lid stuck on...

Trunk lid stuck on 2006 S500

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Metal key does not open appears fuse blow no power to door button key fob not activating opener either

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
2/11/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

hello, so are all the doors locked at this point?

no all other doors work fine including soft close

ok, so far so good. that means that the trunk lid element is leaking so the pse pump will not send pressure to the lid to pop it. do you have the metal key? also do you know where the fuse block is under the back passenger seat?

i have the metal key i turned it counter clock wise to no avail i do not believe it ever worked
i have the bottom of the back seat out not sure where the fuse box is?
trunk key history; when battery died a few 7 years ago MB roadside guy could not get key to work trunk so we powered though front fuse box and use button in car

ok, so

you insert the key, turn it counter clockwise to 11 oclock, then while its turned pop the trunk with the handle or by pushing in the key hole, there were 2 designs. did you try that?

Fuse 62 is what you need to remove and see if it is blown. If it's now blown reinsert it and the trunk should now work

k going to try

ok im here.

ok it activated the pump- the right/passenger hinge pushed up- i could here the hydraulics activate but the latch did not release try key at same time did not open

ok put your ear to the trunk see if you can hear hissing

i could not hear air just the hydraulic lift

Ok try to pull the fuse once again. Then listen before you press the unlock button. Also make sure the keyhole is straight up and down. If the keyhole is turned left and right it will lock out the opening function

ok
car running? or off?

Off

k
no luck opening or air sounds i had to start battery getting low tried both ways on and off no air sound
latch is holding tight tried "bouncing" trunk lid as it was actuating - no movement

Ok. Is there anything in the trunk ? Like did you just go shopping ? Something maybe wedged in latch ?

i was thinking the net that is all thats in there

Ok so let's revisit the mechanical key.

Does the key in fact turn left to 11 o clock ? When it does you may feel slight tension as it turns if you do that's a good sign that it's moving the linkage inside

turns both ways
slight click at 11 - no release
is it supposed to push upward- cause it doesn't

Ok so do you have a handle in the middle of the trunk ? Or does your lock area press in ?

two buttons
trunk open and car lock
key to left of buttons
the lock turns no button effect

Turn the key to 11 and while HOLDING it there press it in upwards

Don't be afraid to press in a little hard. It has not been pressed probably in 10 years

ok tuned it from 6 to 12 counter clockwise it stops short of 11 might be a 1/8 inch movement but no opening
even put slight pressure with a needlenose
rocked it up and down while trying
pressed hard enough to raise car up on suspension

Oh good lord.

Well the only way to get in the trunk is to manually pop it. Or keep resetting the pump by removing the fuse so it may pop the trunk. That is it. Again make sure the keyhole slot is vertical cause if it's horizontal the trunk lock will not activate as a theft deterrent.

Are you trying to get into trunk for a specific reason ? The car runs and drives right ?

cANT TRAVEL WITH KIDS DOGS
can i access latch by drilling?
behind license plate?
just drove 1000 miles over last 4 days with language on back seat LOL

It's behind license plate yes. But let's try working the lock. Can you send me A few pictures of the lock area ?

how do we pop it?
in the morning

Ok. Send me some pictures. I'm thinking maybe we can tap the lock (keyhole area) with a hammer to try and free up the mechanism. But I'd like to get a visual. Have a good night. Lou

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician