Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My s430 is saying automatic on the dash and not changing…

Customer Question
My s430 is saying automatic...
My s430 is saying automatic on the dash and not changing gears this is the second time this has happened I read somewhere it maybe my transmission fluid but I don't know how to check it and I'm stranded in a parking
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
2/3/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello. Are you saying the trans goes into gear but it will not shift ?

And to answer your question you cannot check trans fluid as you need a special dipstick to do so.

correct, it goes in drive but hesitated at first going into second gear, then the automatic display came on my panel and the car wouldn't pass 2nd gear it seems as though my transmission stop shifting

OK if there is an electrical fault with the trans-the trans will lock itself into the last known good gear that's why it's locked into a certain gear not shifting. You will need to have the codes read to see what is happening. Most likely a bad speed sensor which is a pretty easy fix compared to a new transmission.

If your able to get to a Autozone they can read the codes for free and I can get a idea of what may be happening but a Better Mercedes scanner is really what is needed. Hope this information helps.

Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician