Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

A 2000 Mercedes CLK 320 I went through the standard

Customer Question
A 2000 Mercedes CLK...

A 2000 Mercedes CLK 320 I went through the standard processes of putting the top down. It got stuck and I managed to manually put it down, however, the mechanism that locks the top to the body in the rear window area did not lock at all. I am also unable to unlock the trunk (that has perishable groceries) with or without the key. The fob works on locks on the doors. There doesn't seem to be any sounds for the top that I normally hear. And, I don't know how to get into the trunk "manually." Thank you

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Whoops - I meant that I got it unstuck and it's now "up" but not totally locked on the rear or front areas. The windows still work and have returned to their up position.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
I have paid the deposit. Thank you
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/31/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello. Is the roof covering the trunk at all ? If it is it will be hard to open the trunk.

No -- the roof isn't covering the trunk. IN fact, I just got the trunk to open about 15 minutes ago. Whew was able to save the meat, milk, and wine -- not in that order, of course.The top is up, actually, but it isn't latched in the front or back. The red button is illuminated, but nothing happens when I push it.

Ok first thing to check is that panel in the trunk that has to be pulled down its called the partition. So when you activate the roof a message should appear on the dash. Does it ? Sorry for my delays

There has never been a message on my dash -- maybe on the newer models but not mine --- year 2000.
The roof cover is up but does not latch in the front or back -- it's as if the mechanisms to make it do so are off or stuck. The red button my my console is lit but nothing happens when I push it.

Oh ok. Sorry I misread the year. Ok so you don't hear the pump running or nothing ?

First thing I would do is manually close it. There is a tool on the spare tire tool kit that will allow you to lock the roof back in place.

Do you still have the owners manual? It tells you how to manually close the roof. Once it's manually closed you can see if it will activate.

Thanks - I'll read the manual again about manually closing the soft top roof.

Ok I also have info about the hydraulic system so let me know what happens and I'll do what I can to help.