Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 1982 mercedes 380sel that cranked and ran fine. Got…

Customer Question
I have a 1982 mercedes...
I have a 1982 mercedes 380sel that cranked and ran fine. Got up on 01/26/2016 and started up and ran for about 2 seconds and cut off. it has been doing this ever since.I have changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, tested the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Replaced the kickdown fuse with a new one. I have also replaced the fuel regulator. This is an everyday driver which I need very badly. Do you have any suggestion that may get me back on the road. The spark plugs were replaced even though they were not fouled out. It cranks right up and then cuts off.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
1/28/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order for the engine to start and stay running you need good spark to the spark plugs, injector pulse and proper fuel pressure. When it shuts down can you check and see which one of these you are lacking and post back with the results and we can work from there to try and get this resolved.

I am in the south and we will have 70 degree weather on 01/30/16. I will do as you say and let you know the results. Thanks in advance.

Okay post back when you can and we can work from there.

I have good spark, great fuel pressure, can hear the injectors clicking. I still can't keep it cranked for more than 3 seconds.

Something is being over looked, if you are sure you have good spark, injector pulse and proper fuel pressure the engine should start and stay running.

Let me have some one to verify my findings that are much more equipped than I am. I agree that the 3 things you mentioned should allow it to stay cranked but I don't have the equipment to give you any type of measurements but if I can find some body to do them I will send them to you.

Okay, that would be the next step, go back and recheck each and make sure you not lacking one or the other.