Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1996 Mercedes S600. The ignition switch will not start the…

Customer Question
1996 Mercedes S600. The ignition...
1996 Mercedes S600. The ignition switch will not start the car. Battery has a full charge. Could it be a crank shift sensor?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
1/25/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Does the engine turn over but not start, or not turn over at all?

Also, you have it listed as 94 and 96, so I need to know which it is

Engine does not turnover at all. The car is a 1994
Earlier in the week I thought it might be the neutral safety switch and had it replaced with original part #6459-08028804
Sorry OEM, part #W0133-1608996
Earlier my question should have read Crankshaft, sensor

HI,

Ok, a faulty crankshaft shaft position sensor will not prevent the engine from turning over. This will be in the starting system.

I am going to need the last 8 of the vin number to pull the starting system schematics.

Have you checked for 12v at the starter while someone turns the key to the crank position

I will get you the car VIN #WDBGA57EXRA164985Have not checked the voltage during startup yet...

HI,

Ok, there is a service bulletin out on this. The most common cause is a faulty starter lockout relay, located behind top right corner of dash(see attached photo)

You have to remove the passenger side airbag to reach it(see attached)

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

I am having the car towed to Mercedes tomorrow. Will share your notes. Will rate your help after Mercedes installs the new part starter lockout relay.

HI,

Ok, sounds good.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

Eric,
Please if you would be patient I should be getting an answer from the Mercedes Benz shop here in Portland. I provided them you reference to the recent MEMO from Mercedes about the ignition relay behind the front passenger airbag and they were going to test and inspect and likely replace this part. I should hear back from them tomorrow and at that time I will certainly rate your suggestions and help.
Kindest regards,
Robert

Ok, sounds good

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

Eric,
I want to thank you for your patience. I will be hearing from Mercedes in the morning and then I will complete the process.
Bob Fagliano

Ok, not a problem

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?