Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Took out the battery and reconnected, now it won't turn on.

Customer Question
Only lights are working, is...
Took out the battery and reconnected, now it won't turn on. Only lights are working, is this a EIS shortage?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/23/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech, Mercedes Technician

Hello, why did you take the battery out ? You did not accidentally hook up the battery backwards did you ? Make sure the posts are tight and you cannot twist them. What happens when you turn the lights on and then try and start the car , do the lights stay on or do they go out ?

Lights comes on then dies right after, also the message with "turn on the ignition else the system will shutdown in 3 min"

Ok that tells me that either the connections are poor or the battery is no good. Try checking the connections

If it is the EIS, what shouldn't work? Able to turn the key all the way?

If it's the eis everything will work in the car as far as door locks , trunk , radio , lights . But when you insert the key it will not recognize the key and will not release the switch to turn it and it will not release the column lock

Then it's the EIS then, because everything else works but like you said the moment I insert the key to ignition nothing happens

Do you have more than one key ?

Another possibility is there are prefuses in the front ju I start point in the engine bay. If a fuse blew it would give you the same results.