Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2012 MB C250: Check Engine light comes on and lack of power…

Customer Question
2012 MB C250: Check Engine...
2012 MB C250: Check Engine light comes on and lack of power sometimes when I accelerate quickly. Took to dealership and they performed a "49895 short test" resulting a CODE: P061B96. They said they installed new software to solve the problem under warranty. The problem still happens from time to time. Took the car back in to follow-up in the problem. Now the car is out of warranty and they say that the fuel pump needs to be replaced (out of warranty now) They problem is the same, so why now they want to replace the fuel pump. Not sure why this code or replacement was not taken care of while there the first time under warranty. Thanks for your help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
1/20/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What happens is if there was new software out or a bulletin to install new software for the issue and code that was set the dealer will perform this to correct the issue.This is most likely why the pump was not replaced at that time.The good thing is that you have this documented at the dealer as an issue before it ran out of warranty and if the dealer is trying to charge you for a new pump you can try and contact Mercedes customer service at 1(###) ###-####and they can contact the dealer on this issue to see if they will cover or help in covering the repair.

The dealer may try and argue it that it is a totally different problem but since it was already looked into before customer service may be able to help get this paid for.

The dealer should have test drove it after the software was installed to verify it was repaired and if they didnt this will help as well when you make the phone call.

Just state your case with customer service at Mercedes (the above number) including the history of the issue and they should be able to help with this here.The only issue I would see is if you drove it allot of miles since the software update was done and now are trying to say it is the same issue as they may argue that you should have brought it back sooner.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thanks. They are saying it is now showing CODE: P000277. I find it hard to believe a new code has come up with the same problem in the past without the original code. They are quoting me $1900 for the repair.

It is possible that this is a newer fault and may act the same as the last fault here.If they received a different code number (and they need to print this off as proof compared to the last print out they did) then this may make it difficult for them to cover under any extended coverage through Mercedes however you can still state the issue with Mercedes customer service on this here and let them know this is the same issue and they may help with paying for this issue.

This is about the only thing that can be done to see if you can get this fully or partially covered from Mercedes for this here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

If i had a bad fuel pump, wouldn't the check engine light remain on?

In some cases the light would remain on if the computer detects the pump at fault or a lean running issue with the engine but this isnt the case all of the time.The pump can be faulty still causing this issue here.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic