Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

My name is ***** *****.
, Yes. My wife's 2001 Mercedes

Customer Question
Customer: My name is *****...
Customer: My name is ***** *****.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. My wife's 2001 Mercedes E320 dies when she presses the horn. It is doing it for the last 2 wks. Tonight it died when she turned the turn signal on or headlights. Turning hazard lights on didn't cause it to die. Could you tell me what is the problem? What should I check? Could I fix it myself? Thanks for advice.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
1/16/2016
Mercedes Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 2 years ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Check your charging system and battery first, it sounds like you are losing power/voltage. If this checks good, then scan the computer for codes and associated data.

Thanks, Ron

My skill level on scale from 0 - 10 is maybe 2 or 3 at most.
I can't find the battery under the hood. Where could it be?
I think battery and charging system should be ok because it is always starting good without any problems even the last 2 days when it was very cold in Chicago 5 - 10 degrees Farenheit.
I don't know where is the computer and how do you scan it?

BAttery can be under rear seat or in the trunk. Omputer needs to be scanned by a professional with a scan tool

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I thought you will help me to fix this problem myself but now you telling me that the computer needs to be scanned by the professional by the scan tool.
I am not satisfied with this answer, therefore please refund me the money you charged on my wife's credit card.
Thanks
Mercedes Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago

I can't control what the repair will consist of, sorry about that, but I am be honest with you. The customer can't always fix their own vehicle, it depends on how deep the problem is. Please don't' forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on for help with your scan tool results.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yesterday I looked under the hood again. I pulled lightly on wires to see if any are loose. I found that the wires near the right headlights were loose because the bolt holding their contact point to the frame as the ground broke off the frame. I bolted the contact point to the frame using another bolt right under the right headlights. This fixed all electrical problems my wife's car had. The car is not dying anymore when you press the horn or turn on the directional signs or headlights.
I didn't need to check the battery or charging system and I didn't have to scan the computer by professional by this expensive scan tool. Sometimes you don't need these expensive tools to find the problem. All you have to do sometimes is poke around a little bit.
Thanks for trying to help me! Maybe another time you will
rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor