Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

WE have found sugar residue in my tank of a 2009 Mecedes

Customer Question

WE have found sugar residue in my tank of a 2009 Mecedes GL320 Blutech. What effect can this have on the system?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If you are sure sugar has been added to the fuel tank, You do not want to drive the car at all. Do not even start it. Sugar will destroy the engine if left in the fuel. It will ruin your injectors and cause your valves to stick. You are going to need to have the fuel tank removed and thoroughly cleaned as well as the fuel lines and injectors if its been ran and you will also need to change the fuel filter. Post back if you have more questions and or need more help and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know how long sugar was in tank. Black smoke began billowing out of my exhaust. Had car towed to mechanic. Initially Turbo was gone. 3 attempts to get the proper model as they differed in first Bluetec series (i am told) then Mercedes wanted to replace the entire exhaust system ($11k) I opted to have it flushed instead and thats when the car restarted. it ran for 8 hrs, now wont start at all. Injectors were rebuilt and thats when we found sugar residue.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

You may also need to replace the fuel pump. Sugar is very damaging to the whole system.