Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2007 gl 450 and the computer says "gear out of

Customer Question

I have a 2007 gl 450 and the computer says "gear out of ratio" it rattles and shakes when first start driving for about two to three miles and then everything is fine. The previous owner had different size of rimms on it. could that be causing a problem?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** the rims are the incorrect size it can cause a ratio difference between the front and rear wheels. If that happens it will cause the ABS brakes to apply when you first start driving. A faulty wheel speed sensor or wheel bearing can also cause the problem. I'd start by connecting the car to a Mercedes diagnostic tool to read out the individual wheel speeds. If one wheel is not reporting the correct speed you probably have a bad speed sensor or wheel bearing. Next I would try installing the correct rims from a donor car and see if it solves the problem. Gear ratio codes can also be caused by a fault with the transmission speed sensors but transmission codes will usually cause the transmission to stop shifting.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please remember to rate my answer as this is the only way that I can receive credit from the website for helping you.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I see that you have not rated my service on this question. If my answer was helpful I would appreciate it if you would rate my service on this question so I can receive credit from the website for helping you.