Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 95 sl 500. There is a gas leak about 1/3 from the

Customer Question

I have a 95 sl 500. There is a gas leak about 1/3 from the left side of the car about even with the center of the door. I can see gas coming from a factory hole in the frame.I removed the air filter and cover and checked for any leaks from the top side. I find no indication of anything leaking from the top. Can the line from the fuel pump to the motor be in side the frame? would that be a steel line or a rubber line? Do you know anything else this leak could be coming from? Thanks, Hank
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi Hank, the fuel lines typically run outside the frame and are made of steel between the engine and the fuel pump package. If you have fuel dripping from the middle of the car I suspect a fuel hose has ruptured and the fuel is traveling down the outside of the steel line and dripping off of it in the area that you are seeing the leak. It's also possible that the steel fuel line has rusted through and is leaking. The car should go up on a lift for a more thorough inspection. I would not recommend that you drive the car with fuel leaking.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Marty