Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

This is hakan i got a 2004 sl500 and while i was driving it

Customer Question

Customer: this is hakan hi; i got a 2004 sl500 and while i was driving it showed 3 alerts:consumer electrics offline alert 1- consumer electric alerts 2- battery in red i am looking at the web to understand what the real problem is, and what i found is i need to charge the batteries unless there is a problem on alternators.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i can not able to unlock the car with the key; i can not able to open the hard top, the inside lights can not on.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes i am okay with that, but i really need to solve this issue. i bought this car new, and the dealer told me that because the car was not used for more than 2 months, there might be some battery issues which will eventually be solved. i will be really glad if you enlighten me for this issue, how to solve and how much will it cost. thanks
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi John, you don't need to charge the batteries. The batteries will be charged by the alternator as you drive the car. For this problem you will need to have the batteries and the alternator tested with a charging system tester. More than likely you will need to replace the battery in the trunk and have all of the fault codes erased in the electrical system. If the battery light continues to illuminate in the dash after the fault codes are erased there may be a problem with the alternator itself or with the power supply for the alternator or the battery control module. I'd start by testing and replacing the battery in the trunk first. I'd expect to pay approximately $400 to replace the battery in the trunk and test the alternator and erase the fault codes.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty