FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE DIESEL/AUTOMOTIVE
1627031

I cannot start my 2015 Mercedes ML350 after I used it to

Customer Question

Customer: I cannot start my 2015 Mercedes ML350 after I used it to jump start another car.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Dash lights up with ABS warnings, brake pedal seems stuck partway down.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: okay
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if there is any message on the dash when you try starting it? Did you happen to accidentally cross the jumper cables when performing this task? Did your vehicle run fine after the jump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello? Did you get my response Bobby?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle ran during the jump, then messages displayed on the dash, then would not start after turning the vehicle off. The messages were (I'm paraphrasing) ABS not available, contact dealer. Do not put in gear, etc. I can revisit the vehicle and give you the exact wording. There is power to the jumper cables, but not to the fuse box in the engine compartment. Thanks,
Kerry
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Kerry. The battery cables were not accidentally crossed at any point were they?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i believe they were
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

If they were then that can cause some serious problems. Hopefully it did not short out any of the modules. The most common failure is the fuses that are inside of the box located right near the battery. Those should be tested first before going any further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We tested the fuses, all good but no power to the fuse box
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

It is the prefuse box that needs to be tested. The attached picture indicates the one under the hood.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bobby, I'm not sure how you're used to working on this site, but this dialogue is painfully, unacceptably slow. I told you the symptoms in the first correspondence, and you keep answering my questions with more questions? It is now almost 2 days, and you're now just getting around to telling me about the pre-fuse box?I only used this site so I could do the repairs myself, but at this point, I've brought the car to my mechanic and will pay to have it repaired by him. I am going to request a refund for this dialogue, as I was not able to gain any useful information in a timely manner to do this repair.In the future, please be aware that your customers here are expecting timely, detailed explanations that are of benefit to them, not a long diatribe that fails to get to the point.Kerry