sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My retractable roof will not open on my Mercedes sl500. Get

Customer Question

My retractable roof will not open on my Mercedes sl500. Get a message take to workshop
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the top doesn't move at all and you're seeing a warning message then the module that controls top operation has seen a failure somewhere in the system and is preventing operation. The module watches a series of switches so it knows the state of each component during operation. If it sees a complete is in the wrong state or doesn't receive a signal at all then it will stop operation to prevent damage. The problem may be mechanical or electrical. A failed microswitch, switch wiring or module issue will prevent the top from moving, if there is a mechanical failure, one of the components isn't moving as intended and a switch doesn't open or close at the correct time then operation will be stopped.

If you don't see any mechanical issues or damage then the first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see what fault codes have set, electrical testing will likely need to be done from there.