Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

2001 mercedes E320 144K ***** ***** (not a 4matic)
,

Customer Question

Customer: 2001 mercedes E320 144K ***** ***** (not a 4matic)
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2001 mercedes E320 144K ***** ***** (not a 4matic)When my car is shifted from P to D the car shifts really hard (like a hard clunk). When I accelerate to drive, the transmission will not shift out of 1st gear ... The engine and RPMs will rev up but not switch. The check engine light is on (I have not had the codes checked yet). The gear display indicator on the dash during this time will not display any gear ... be it P, R, D or N. If I try to shift the car back into P, it will not shift unless I switch the engine off then shift it up. After the car runs for some time, the gear shift display on the dash will then display the correct gear (P, D, R, N etc.) and the car can be shifted and driven with no problems at all. To my knowledge, nothing has spilled in to the gear shift console as I am the only driver.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** symptoms point to a bad gearshift selector or no power to the selector. Whenever you lose the gear display and cannot move the shifter into park without turning the car off it is a telltale sign of a faulty gearshift selector module. Power to the selector module should be checked before replacing the module.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Marty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
I ordered a gear shift selector.
I will post the results upon changing it out.
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

You're quite welcome. Please be sure to click on a rating for my service when you are done as this is the only way that I can receive credit from the website for helping you.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Did you get the shifter replaced yet?

Marty