MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

I have a 2011 Mercedes ML350 that I have been having trouble

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Mercedes ML350 that I have been having trouble getting to start. Usually when I start the car it will start on the first time, but it has been progressively getting worse in that sometimes it won't start on the first time. Yesterday I had to try over and over for about 10 minutes before it would register and start. When it has this problem, the dash lights do not come on. If I open the door the D, N, P, R lights come on but will go off if the key doesn't register. It seems like it happens more frequently if I recently started the car and turned it off. If it has been sitting for a few hours it will start up right away. I have seen different people say they had similar issues and that it was the crankshaft position sensor and others say it was the eis ignition switch. How can I tell what my issue is?
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To add on to my question, I have a key fob.
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-n3f1w267- replied 1 year ago.

Just to start, petrol or diesel ?

does it turn or there's nothing at all when you turn the key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's petrol and no it doesn't make any noise or do anything when you turn the key. Then it will suddenly recognize and the dash lights will come on and you can turn and start.

push Start Button ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it has a key fob that you use to start the car.

Perfect . I had issues in the past with the electronic ignition switch (EIS) .The crank sensor cannot cause the PRND to disappear in the instrument cluster so I'm pretty sure the problem is the key itself or the EIS. have you tried it with an other key? how is the battery doin ? Cause if the battery is not 12.1V over , sometimes it can cause problems. So try an other key , charge the battery and let me know!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response - I do not have a spare key. I have been considering getting another just not looking forward to dishing out $300 + for a spare key, but I may have to. I thought the battery was doing okay, but will charge and let you know. That will be my first step.

so ? Any news ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery is charged and I replaced the key fob battery (just as a precaution). Still having the same problem. I contacted the Mercedes dealership and have a diagnostic appointment scheduled. They came to the same conclusion (based on our convo over the phone) that it was most likely a faulty key fob or the eis starter switch. I will take it in on January 4th and keep you posted. Thanks!

hope it works for you ! give me news !