Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Marty: Re: 2002 Mercedes E430 4-matic My brake lights do not

Customer Question

Marty: Re: 2002 Mercedes E430 4-matic
My brake lights do not work.......ABS & BAS dash lights are on....I replaced the brake light switch with no change noted. Any ideas? Thank you, John
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi John

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Fuse #9 in the fuse box at the end of the dash is for the brake lights. Check that fuse and see if it is blown. If the fuse is good there may be a fault with the new brake light switch or there may be a fault with the stop lamp suppression relay. The signal from the brake light switch most pass through the relay before it gets to the brake lights and the traction control module. If the fuse is blown or there is a problem with the new switch or the wiring or the relay you will have no brake lights and the ABS/BAS warning lights will be on. The relay is located in the fuse box under the hood. I've attached a picture below.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please click on a rating for my service today as this is the only way that I receive credit from the website.

Marty