Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I jump started my 1986 560SL and now it revs way to fast and

Customer Question

I jump started my 1986 560SL and now it revs way to fast and will not idle lower. My local mechanic thinks it is the idle control relay behind the glove box. Can I buy this part? Do you think that is the problem? The car never did this high revving until after the jump start.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, the part is available but you probably only need to replace the fuse in the top of the relay. The relay is called the overvoltage protection relay and is located on the relay panel above the fuse box. It is not behind the glove box. You will need to remove the covering under the passenger side dash to access the relay. The part number for the relay is 201 540 08 45. Click here for a source for the relay. There is a fuse in the top of the relay under the plastic cover. Check and replace that fuse if it is bad and you should be fine.

Let me know if it works.

Marty

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just following up with you on the Mercedes. Whatever happened with this? Did you ever get it squared away?