Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Driving S500 06, grinding noise when making rt or left turns

Customer Question
Driving S500 06, grinding noise...
Driving S500 06, grinding noise when making rt or left turns or u-turns. Sounds like it's from the front end
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
Both drive shafts front and back have been changed, differential is new or recently rebuilt. What would it be that rubs or grinds when turning? Been in and out of shop for 5weeks
11/23/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd say the most likley reason is a failed or failing wheel bearing as these are loaded up when cornering , if you jack the car up so the wheels are off the ground and try wiggling the wheel from top to bottom and from side to side there should be no slack in either direction

if this checks out then check the condition of the brake pads for excessive wear and / or binding up

You most likely the bearing, what is the other things possible!
I have been told bearing make noise when ever used.

hello

for it to rub and produce a noise then it must be the result of two surfaces touching, hence my thoughts about it being the wheel bearing or possibly the brakes binding up - hence my suggestion of inspecting the brake pads for excessive wear

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.

Matt, Engineer