Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

2005 Mercedes e500: Instrument panel has gone dark. Car

Customer Question

2005 Mercedes e500:
Instrument panel has gone dark. Car appears to run in 'emergency mode', where the headlights stay on when driving even if the lights are switched off. I visually checked all the fuses and they appear to be fine. I have had this problem before in the past, but I forgot what I did to fix it.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing to do here is to have the battery and alternator tested to make sure they are o.k.If one is at fault here it will need replaced.Low voltage from a failing alternator or a faulty battery will cause this issue here.This is the first thing that needs checked.If this was already checked or is checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete