Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

When M320 cdi start the engine i can drive with no problem

Customer Question
unlimited miles when i stop...
when M320 cdi start the engine i can drive with no problem unlimited miles when i stop and start again on hot engine the mersedez is going to limp mode. i have to wait the engine to cool down and start again so there is no problem
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
11/13/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician replied 2 years ago
Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician

Did you clean out the EGR pipe in front of the engine? It will set an EGR fault code because it clogs the flow. I'll try and find a picture.

So the pipe was clean? Did it have a lot of carbon?

No, the EGR was clean too, but i decided to change it too.
Anything else???
I don't understand why paid 31 dollars???

Is that the only fault code you have? Have you tried getting the engine scanned with a more advanced scanner? It should tell you a more specific fault code such as EGR positioned fault or poor flow.

Do you know if the EGR cooler below the intake manifolds is clear as well?

No, I only have this code
everything is clean

Ok, is your scanner capable of reading transmission fault codes or only OBD engine faults?

The 1402 fault code is a generic OBD fault. The actual engine and transmission computers will store specific manufacture fault codes that will be more specific to the problem. You could have a DPF/exhaust problem but it would be hard to tell with a generic fault code.

The mercedes specific code might be for the Diesel Particulate Filter pressure differential sensor. This is how the computer determines how much flow in the DPF sensor but I know it can trigger a generic P1402 EGR fault.

I would suggest replacing the DPF sensor if you a more comprehensive engine scan of the fault codes is not available.

I will scan tomorrow with more advanced scanner but i agree with you and the change of the differential pressure sensor is my next move

Ok, let me know what you find.

Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield