Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
14892859

My car stops at any given time and this has happen 3 times

Customer Question

My car stops at any given time and this has happen 3 times so far. It just stops and I have to wait before I can restart . Could this be my fuel pump or what ?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please advise of what type of car you have (make/model and year); Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1992 Mercedes 300E..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Thank you. This 'could' be a fuel pump....but the most likely cause of this is the ignition system. Fuel pumps do not work one minute, and then quit the next, and then start working again. When they do not pump correctly, they stay bad. I would recommend you take this car to a qualified tech that knows these cars. We could speculate all day what it is, and you could replace 20 parts in a row and might not correct the problem. Guessing costs needless expenditures. I would not replace the fuel pump unless it was proven to me that it is indeed bad. I suspect a sensor or something is dropping out, which causes the car to lose spark, which causes the stall.