Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

Marty! I recently cleaned my mass air flow sensor after

Customer Question
Hi Marty! I recently cleaned...
Hi Marty! I recently cleaned my mass air flow sensor after getting code of p0171(lean engine). When putting my air box back in one of the two bolts that hold the air box to the engine stripped and now it just spins in its hole. The other is fine and seems to hold the air box in fine. Will this other bolt be an issue? These bolts are the ones that remain in the air box and drop into the hole, so not sure if they can be replaced with out buying a new air box.
Don't think cleaning my MAF worked cause now: The car idles fine when it's in park or nutural, but when I shift to drive or reverse, the RPM's drop,from about 1000 to 500, and car acts as if it's going to stall but recovers and RPM's continue to stay very low. This is only when car it idol or at a stop. Once I give enough gas and at her speeds it seems fine.
Thanks for any help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mercedes
11/6/2015
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 2 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi, as long as the air cleaner is fitted onto the mass air flow sensor you will be fine. Cleaning the mass air flow sensor is not usually successful. More than likely the sensor will need to be replaced. You should just make sure that you got it back onto the throttle body correctly and didn't create any air leaks.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician