Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2005 SL500 and it was working fine, shut it off and

Customer Question

I have a 2005 SL500 and it was working fine, shut it off and would not start again, all is good with battery tested and full charge , changed the Crankshaft sensor, still did not start
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both batteries checked out fine, – Lights work fine headlights are fine everything looks good except just won't even turn just click
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** the batteries are good and you just get a click when turning the key I would have to suspect a fault with the starter motor. A voltage test will need to be performed at the starter to verify that voltage is present when turning the key. If there is voltage to the starter solenoid you will need to replace the starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where exactly would the solenoid be located on the Mercedes SL 500 so I can look and check that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where exactly is the solenoid or starter located on this Mercedes I want to be sure that I'm looking in the right places in testing the right equipment
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

It's located on the passenger side rear of the motor. You will need to gain access from underneath the car.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

The solenoid and starter are one.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

I can tell you how to bypass the starter relay from under the hood to test the starter. You will need a fused jumper lead.

Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

The starter relay is the green relay located in the passenger side fuse box under the hood near the starter battery. Remove the relay and use your fused jumper lead to jump from terminal 30 to 87 in the relay box to test the starter. You can use a 25 amp fuse in your jumper lead. I've attached a picture below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not understanding what you mean by jumper lead.. Sorry I did not respond sooner my phone blanked out and had to have it replaced.
Can you please explain about the jumper lead. Never had to do that before
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

A fused jumper is just a wire lead with a fuse in the middle that you use to jump electrical circuits. An inline fuse holder works well for a jumper lead. You can crimp a couple of blade terminals on each end of the fuse holder and insert them into the slots where the relay plugs into. Jumping terminal 30 and 87 should activate the starter. I've attached a picture of an inline fuse holder below. You can use a 30 amp fuse in the holder.